I have now started my second year as Chair of the Board of Directors. The year has passed quickly, but we have accomplished many wonderful things. Here are just a few examples:
- Our Chief Executive Officer, Laurie Cerqueti, will be coming up to her first year in January 2020 and it has been a pleasure working with her. We have seen wonderful progress and some changes in the Centre.
- There is now music being streamed into the Atrium thanks to a generous donation by a family member. The music can also be heard outside in the summer. Residents, families and visitors enjoy listening to music as they spend time visiting.
- In July 2019, the Centre hosted the Simkin Family Reunion. We were honoured to have over one hundred members of the Simkin Family hold their Friday night dinner at the Centre while enjoying this lovely facility.
- In September of 2019, the Board held a successful all day strategic planning session. As a result, we developed and updated our Vision, Mission and Values statements. We also developed five strategic goals that the Board plans to pursue over the next five years.
- In October 2019, we said good bye to three Board members who served their full terms. I want to thank Marilyn Regiec, David Marr and Mirtha Lopez for their time on the Board. We have three new members that were elected to take their place. They are Karen Leggat, Penny Yellen and David Cohen. Welcome!
On behalf of myself and the rest of the Board members, I’d like to take this opportunity to thank the wonderful staff for all they do to care for the residents and their families.
Wishing everyone a good 2020.
Selma Gilfix, Chair
Saul and Claribel Simkin Centre