Saul & Claribel Simkin Centre Family Education Award
Congratulations to Alexandra Santos for earning the 2019 Saul & Claribel Simkin Centre Family Education Award. The $3,000 award was presented to Alexandra at the Jewish Foundation of Manitoba Scholarship Award ceremony held in June. Alexandra is the daughter of proud mother Bernardete Santos, who works in Food Services at Simkin. Alexandra is studying sciences and majoring in biology at the University of Winnipeg. Her dream is to pursue a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree and establish a career as a certified veterinarian.
In Alexandra’s own words: “In addition to receiving higher education, I wish to continue and expand my community involvement. For instance, I want to maintain my engagement in my culture, by continuing to volunteer at the Casa do Minho Portuguese Centre as a dancer and in general. I also plan on continuing to volunteer at the Sherbrook Animal Hospital, all the while becoming involved with other animal welfare organizations and veterinary clinics around the city. In order to increase my community engagement, I wish to volunteer with organizations such as Newcomers Employment and Education Development Services (N.E.E.D.S.) to work with immigrant and refugee children and youth and their families.”
“This year I represented the Portuguese pavilion as one of its 2019 youth ambassadors for Folklorama’s 50th year celebration. I have also been a volunteer for the Teddy Bear’s Picnic, We Day and The Festival du Voyageur.”
In 2008, Sheila and David Brodovsky, their brother Harvey Brodovsky, and friends Catherine (Kady) and Mauricez’’l Tauber launched the Saul & Claribel Simkin Centre Family Education Fund at The Jewish Foundation of Manitoba. . Their parents – Nellie Brodovskyz’’l, Ethel Piercez’’l, Dr. Maurice (Moe) Piercez’’l, and Samuel Tauberz’’l – were all residents of the Sharon Home and then the Simkin Centre for varying periods between 1997 and 2009. Through hundreds of visits over many years, the Fund’s founders were moved by the hard work and tender care offered by so many front-line nurses and aides. “We wanted to do something special for the people who work at the Centre,” says David Brodovsky, “so we set up this scholarship program as a way to express our gratitude for the kindnesses extended to our parents and to us.” The Fund awards the children of long service employees the opportunities to pursue post-secondary education. The award is based on financial need, academic achievement, and community involvement.
If you are interested in contributing to The Simkin Centre Education Fund at the Jewish Foundation of Manitoba go to – https://www.jewishfoundation.org/simkin-centre-family-education-fund Jewish Foundation of Manitoba or contact our fundraising office at 204.589.9027 for more information.
February 28 of any given year
The application period for the Saul and Claribel Simkin Centre Family Education Award is now open for 2021.
$3,500 per year to one recipient
- Must be a child or dependent of a “long service employee” of the Centre. A “long service employee” is considered a full or part-time employee who has 5 or more years of service as at January 1st of the year of application;
- Must be 25 years of age or LESS (25th birthday must be subsequent to January 1st of the year of application);
- Must be applying for, have been accepted into, or be continuing studies in a university, college or other post-graduate program with preference given to persons studying at a Manitoba educational institution;
- Must not have previously received the Saul & Claribel Simkin Centre Family Education Award UNLESS the award was not given out during the previous calendar year. **
Assuming the applicant meets the eligibility requirements set forth above, the following criteria will be used by the selection committee in recommending the award:
- Financial need
- Academic achievement
- Community participation or volunteer activity
To apply for this award information and application forms are available on-line at:
* The Jewish Foundation of Manitoba reserves the right not to award these scholarships on an annual basis. This is dependent upon the receipt of qualified applications as determined by the terms and conditions of the scholarship.
** If you are a previous recipient interested in applying, please contact the Foundation to determine eligibility.