The Saul and Claribel Simkin Centre highly values its role as a partner in the education of health care providers. We have developed and nurtured partnerships with many educational institutions in Manitoba:
- Red River College Nursing Program
- Brandon University Psychiatric Nursing Program
- University of Manitoba Nursing Program
- Robertson College Health Care Aide & Unit Clerk Program
- Assiniboine College LPN Program
- Red River College Therapeutic Recreation Program
- Riverview Health Centre Spiritual Care Practitioner Program
We welcome many students throughout the year for clinical placements that range from a few hours, a few weeks, to a few months. Residents benefit from the over 400 eager minds and helping hands in our facility. Our staff act as role models and preceptors to the students. It is a win-win situation for the students and for the Centre.
The students are provided with the unique opportunity of learning in a Jewish cultural environment in which they are taught about our faith based Mission and Values, our Kosher practices, and our Jewish Holidays. It is our hope that some of these students will one day choose to work at the Centre.
Our senior staff also work closely with instructors and curriculum advisors from our partner educational institutions to evaluate and review the scope of practice for students and to enhance opportunities for learning.
The feedback we receive from students is positive. Some examples of their comments are:
- Enthusiastic and positive staff – Comfortable environment
- Very professional staff who showed diligence in their work
- Amazing amount of activities for the residents
- The residents were sweet and gracious, allowing us into their rooms
- Thank you Simkin Centre for allowing us to come on this educational trip – it was awesome